Gibbons selected by Carlton
Williamstown Football Club proudly congratulates Michael Gibbons on being selected by Carlton Football Club as an AFL rookie in the pre-season supplemental selection period.
The two-time J.J Liston Medallist and 2018 Gerry Callahan medallist had a stellar 89 game career at the Seagulls, which included the 2015 Premiership win where he was named the Norm Goss Medallist as best on ground.
Gibbons, 23, took his game to another level in 2018, producing a career best season averaging 28.6 disposals, 12 contested possessions and seven clearances a game.
Gibbons has done it all at VFL level and his list of achievements is unrivalled:
* 2013 Murray Bushrangers Captain * 2015 VFL Premiership Player
* 2015 Norm Goss Medal – VFL Grand Final Best on Ground
* 2016 J.J Liston Medal – VFL Best & Fairest
* 2016 Frank Johnson Medal – VFL State Team Best on Ground
* 2016, 2017 & 2018 VFL Team of the Year
* 2017 VFL State Team Representative
* 2017 JJ Liston Medal – Runner Up
* 2018 Wiliamstown Gerry Callahan Medallist (Best & Fairest Winner)
* 2018 J.J Liston Medal - VFL Best & Fairest
This now marks a state league record of four Seagulls who have been drafted onto AFL lists after one season, with Gibbons joining Ben Cavarra (Western Bulldogs), Brett Bewley & Lachlan Schultz (Fremantle) in achieving their footballing dreams.
The Club is immensely proud of all four players and looks forward to seeing their AFL careers unfold.
CEO Jason Reddick said “Williamstown Football Club prides itself on producing competitive sides that strive for team success, as well as providing an environment for players and staff to maximise their talents and reach the elite level. It’s important to recognise the work done by our senior Coach Andy Collins and his Assistant coaches and support staff, for helping these players reach their potential.
We are immensely proud of all our AFL recruits, for the effort and sacrifices they have made to realise their football dream, and we wish them long and successful AFL careers.”