Season Summary: 1963
The early 1960's was a controversial time for Victorian football, and 1963 would be no different with the relationship between the VFA and VFL continually becoming strained. One major cause of the fall out was due to VFL clubs looking to take over some VFA football grounds.
On the field, the Seagulls were having their own battles, with the club finishing 8th and winning just six games from 18, with a draw against Dandenong. The draw was the first home Sunday fixture for Williamstown, played on August 4. Potentially still reeling from the experienced losses of Ray Smith and Jack Evans and unable to attract older and experienced key position players, the Club commenced the season with several players promoted from local junior competitions, most notably George Savige and Barry Beamish, and embarked on a 'team building' policy, which resulted in three losses from the first three games, albeit two by narrow margins, for the first time since 1937. Four victories in the next five games followed and, after the nine-goal round 12 victory at home against Northcote, the team was in fifth position on the ladder. However, five losses and the draw in the last six games meant an eighth place finish and its run of ten consecutive finals appearances was ended, its worst result for a quarter of a century.
Ruckman Leo Maloney had a fine season, winning the Andy Taylor Memorial Trophy for best and fairest from captain Daryl Ward and Greg Taube, and also running fifth in the JJ Liston Trophy. Keith James kicked 42 majors to win the goalkicking and finished third on the VFA list, just two behind Bob Bonnett of Port Melbourne.
Former President of 1945-1946, Bill Dooley, passed away on August 19 at the age of 64. Dooley was a bookmaker and was unable to attend most of Williamstown's games due to Saturday race meetings. He also served as a VFA vice-president in the late 1940's and was involved in a lot of charity work for which he received an MBE. He was also instrumental in luring Ron Todd to Williamstown from Collingwood in 1940.
The grandstand at the Williamstown ground was named the W.L. Floyd Pavilion in 1963 in honour of the former football club secretary (1935-1939, 1945-1946 and 1948-1949).
Williamstown's big names have shown great initial signs in their first games for 2019 against Sandringham on Saturday afternoon.Read more ...