Season Summary: 1964

In big news around the VFA, reigning premier Moorabbin were suspended from the league for twelve months for alleged disloyalty for the part they played in the St. Kilda Football Club's takeover of Moorabbin Oval. The Club disbanded as a result, only to return to the VFA in 1983 as a different entity. The vacancy in First Division was taken up by Waverley, the runner-up in Second Division the previous season. Williamstown was granted Council permission for eight of its nine home games to be played on a Sunday, although the Seagulls opted to play only four Sunday fixtures.

There was much joy in 1964, with the Williamstown Football Club celebrating its 100th year. Recruits to the Club included a fine ruckman from Footscray in Bob Ware, a nephew of the Bulldogs 1941 Brownlow Medallist, Norm Ware. It also acquired Dennis Railton from North Melbourne and rovers Jim Jenkinson from Melbourne and Max Graham, also from Footscray. 

After a very disappointing 1963 campaign, Williamstown bounced back with a vengeance, with victories in the first three games before two losses, including a defeat by just four points at home at the hands of Sandringham. Ten consecutive wins followed, including a nine goal victory at Yarraville (Jim Jenkinson 6 goals, Bobby Turner 5), 6 goals at home against Brunswick (Keith James 5 goals), 33 points away at Waverley (Keith James 6 goals) and 33 points at home against Oakleigh (Don Carmichael 6 goals). The run of wins ended at the hands of bottom team Preston in round 16, surprisingly going down 23.11.149 to 12.9.81. The team sat on top of the ladder after round 12 and finished the season there with a 14-4 Win/Loss record. 

After being defeated by Port in the final home and away game by  17 points, the two teams met again in the second semi-final and Port triumphed by 52 points, 20.6.126 to 9.20.74. The game was virtually lost in the first quarter by the Seagulls wayward kicking at goal, registering 4.13 to one goal straight by the first change. At half time Port had taken a four point lead 8.3 to 5.17, which was extended to 16 points at three quarter time before the onslaught in the last term. Railton, McAsey and Carmichael were best for the 'Town. 

With the advantage of the double chance, Williamstown then took on Coburg in the preliminary final and ran out winners 12.15.87 to 10.13.73, with Don Carmichael booting five goals.  In the 'Town's 15th grand final appearance, and seventh in 11 years (eight counting the 1958 replay) before a crowd of 26,000 on Port's home ground, The Borough began with great pace and by quarter time had skipped out to a seven goal lead. The Seagulls trailed by six goals at half time and by 35 points at the last change and were no match for Port Melbourne who inflicted their third consecutive win over the Seagulls for the year, 14.17.101 to 10.5.65, with Don Carmichael and Bob Ware both kicking three goals. Full-back Tom Russell did well to hold Port spearhead Brian Jeffrey to one goal only, Dennis Railton held the opposition's captain-coach Laurie Mithen and ruckman Bob Ware battled hard all day. 

Williamstown's 1964 Grand Final team was:

B.     Daryl Ward          Tom Russell           Leo Maloney

HB.  Brian Spence       Dennis Railton       Ron Leonard

C.                                            George Savige

HF.  Gary Fitch             Merv Williams        Barry Beamish

F.     Alan McAsey        Don Carmichael     Graham Clough

Foll. Bob Ware             Jim O'Toole

Rov. Jim Jenkinson

Res. Lindsay Murphy  Jock Mellis

Coach: Gerry Callahan


Bobby Turner was awarded the Andy Taylor Memorial Trophy for Club best and fairest, from Jim Jenkinson who finished fourth in the JJ Liston Trophy. Keith James again was the leading goalkicker for the year with a total of 41, two more than Jenkinson. Neither Turner or James played in the Grand Final.

Captain Daryl Ward played his 150th senior match for Williamstown during the season, while Leo Maloney posted his 100th appearance in royal blue and gold.






Latest News

Qualifying final locked in

The AFL has confirmed that Williamstown's qualifying final against Footscray will be played at VU Whitten Oval this Saturday from 1:00pm.

Read more ...

Tigers too strong for finals-hungry Seagulls

A last quarter surge from Williamstown was ultimately not enough to overcome a fierce Werribee outfit on Saturday night. 

Read more ...

Seagulls name final VFLW squad for 2019

Williamstown has named the squad to play in its final match of the 2019 VFLW season.

Read more ...

Seagulls finish year with optimism

Williamstown's VFLW team may be young on paper, however the growth that all have achieved despite undesirable results has been showcased weekly. 

Read more ...

Round 21 VFL squad selection

Williamstown's side to host Werribee in the final home-and-away game of the season has been selected. 

Read more ...

Latest Videos