Venue change v Geelong
The Club advises that the AFL have re-scheduled this weekend’s Williamstown VFL and VFLW home games against Geelong, due to the condition of Downer Oval.
The VFL game will now be played at 11:40am at Avalon Airport Oval, Watton St. Werribee on Sunday.
The VFLW game has been moved to La Trobe University, Bundoora, with a starting time of 12:30pm this Sunday.
CEO Jason Reddick stated: “Following the recent wet weather, the AFL sent out their turf consultant to inspect our ground on Wednesday and declared the surface unfit for state league football this weekend.
"This is very disappointing on a number of fronts:
* our VFL team lose home ground advantage in an important game against a fellow finalist.
* our VFLW team loses the opportunity to play its last home game for the season.
* our Club loses significant match day revenue streams.
* our members and supporters lose the opportunity of attending state league football at their local venue and accessing the array of amenities and entertainment that they usually enjoy
* The VFL game is locked in to be broadcast live by Ch 7 on free to air TV, so our corporate supporters and Williamstown community lose the extensive brand exposure that a broadcast game at Downer Oval provides.
"Clearly our first priority is to work with Hobsons Bay City Council to ensure measures are taken to address the ground surface issues at Downer Oval, so we don’t have to face this situation again. This is especially important given the recent media focus on state league Clubs' credentials for inclusion in the second tier AFL football competition.
"We are very grateful for the strong support given by Werribee Football Club in making Avalon Airport Oval available to host our VFL game on Sunday, and thank their CEO Mark Penaluna and his staff for their work in making this happen."
The Club will provide buses for supporters wanting to attend the game at Werribee.
Bookings can be made by contacting Marketing Manager Jacinta Evans on 9391 0309.
We thank all our stakeholders for their understanding at this time, and look forward to everyone’s support when we return to Downer Oval for the final home game of the season, a night game against our local rivals Werribee, commencing at 7:15pm on Saturday, August 24.